Coronavirus Disease (Covid-19)
The Department of Transport is working closely with the Department of Health and Human Services and transport operators to implement a range of measures to limit the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and protect passengers on Australia’s transport network.
If you suspect you may have COVID-19, please call the dedicated hotline on 1800 675 398. Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only.
General passenger behaviour/Long Distance Travel
Passengers should follow the advice of the Chief Health Officer and stay at home if they are unwell, including not travelling by public transport.
Passengers are asked to reconsider non-essential long-distance journeys.
If people must travel long distance by public transport, passengers are asked to ensure they maximise the distance from other passengers in line with social distancing advice.
We encourage all passengers to practice good hygiene when on public transport.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, sneezing, or using the toilet. If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitiser that contains at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Ensure a distance of at least 1.5 metres is kept between yourself and others.
- Where possible, please load your own luggage.
Increased cleaning protocols
Public transport operators have increased cleaning measures across the bus network. All hard surfaces are wiped down using hospital grade disinfectants, buses fumigated as well as all air conditioning filters cleaned and disinfected, as well as below:
- Nightly sanitisation of Buses with all touch surfaces wiped down (includes driver cab, all hard surfaces, steering wheel, money tray, console, driver’s door, etc).
- Sanitisation of Buses with all touch surfaces wiped down before maintenance activities
- Fumigation of all buses every three days.